With the enormous economic booms during the 1880's and 1900's when ostrich feathers were in such high demand in the fashion industry, the magnificent Ostrich Palaces were built and these magnificent buildings remain in their Art Nouveau, Victorian and Neo Renaissance Revival styles.
Architects the likes of Karl Otto Hager, Georges Wallace (Snr. and Jnr) and Charles Bullock were amongst the famous architects commissioned to carry out some of the fine work still standing today.
Many of the finest examples of the sandstone buildings can be seen on Baron van Rheede Street in Oudtshoorn.
National Heritage Sites
- Le Roux Town House & Arbeidsgenot
Home to the famous Afrikaans lawyer and author of part of the South African National Anthem, C J Langenhoven. It provides interesting artifacts and a glimpse into life as it once was in the Klein Karoo.
- C P Nel Museum
- Montague House
Situated at 12 Baron van Reede Street. Originally a family home to the Lipschitz family and now a National Heritage site
- Prince Vincent & Co
On the corner of Baron can Reede and Church Streets. Originally on of the oldest and largest General Merchants in South Africa.
- Presbyterian Church and Manse
43-45 Baron van Reede Street.
- St Jude's Complex
57-61 Baron van Reede Street.
Church built in 1860. Architect: Sophie Gray (wife of first Bishop of Cape Town).
Victoria Memorial Hall: 1904.
Botha House: 19th Century. Tuishuis: 1862. Original Country Club.
- Synagogue Complex
83 Baron van Reede Street.
Synagogue built in 1888. Architect: George Wallis.
The complex also contained the Jewish Club, Hebrew School and Rabbi's House.
- Gottland House
72 Baron van Reede Street Built in 1902.
- Synagogue Complex
83 Baron van Reede Street
Synagogue: 1888. Architect: George Wallis.
The complex also contained the Jewish Club, Hebrew School and Rabbi's House
- Mimosa Lodge
85 Baron van Reede Street. 1907
- Roman Catholic Cathedral
78 Baron van Reede Street. 1964. Architects: Bergamasco, Duncan & Assoc. Cape Town
- Oudtshoorn Gaol
116-118 Baron van Reede Street
Early 19th Century
- Oakdene House
Baron van Reede Street
One of the oldest buildings in Oudtshoorn. The plot originally belonged to Rev. T.J. van der Riet. It was built in 1853. In front of the house is a old water furrow dated 1847. Original Oak trees still stand outside
- 146 Baron van Reede Street
built in the 1860's
Former home of miss Hudson, Governess to Pauline Smith, authoress of "Stories of the Little Karoo".
131 Baron van Reede Street. Early 20th Century.
- Suspension Bridge
Church Street. 1913. Made by Rowley & Sons. London. Local contracting engineer: E. Helfritz.
- The Old Pavillion
Voortrekker Road. 1894. Built for recreation Grounds Co.
- Dutch Reformed Church Parsonage
141 High Street. 1881. Architect: Otto Hager. Mid-Victorian style with Neo-Classic influence.
- Dutch Reformed Church
High Street. 1860-1879
Architects: George Wallis, Otto Hager
The model for the five angels standing in front of the pulpit was Maria van Rooyen from Oudtshoorn
- Town House
146 High Street. 1908. Architect: Charles Bullock. Owner: J.H.J. le Roux. Currently ancillary to the C.P. Nel museum. The little house at the back was originally a shop. During the great influenza epidemic of 1918, it was used as a hospital.
- 170 High Street
Late 19th Century
- 171 High Street
Early 20th Century
- Criterion Hotel
213 High Street. Early 20th Century.
Designed by Charles Bullock in 1908 for Mr. Mark Morris. Currently the Baron's Palace
- Rus in Urbe
(Foster House) 54 Voortrekker Street. 1902.
Architect: Charles Bullock.
Owner: J.A. Foster, M.L.A. He went bankrupt in 1914 with the crash of the feather industry.
- Drill Hall
8 Camp Street. 1892. Oudtshoorn Volunteer Rifles. Currently Dutch Reformed Church Hall. The foundation stone was laid by Cecil John Rhodes in 1892.
- Youth Hostel
84 Adderley Street. 1894. Originally public school for girls